In just a couple of weeks, it’ll be a brand new year. In April, Vortex Effect will be celebrating its third anniversary and thankfully its heading into it with a lot of good things having happened in 2013. This year saw a big increase in our number of followers (a big thank you to everyone who clicked “Follow” or took the time to like/follow us on Facebook/Twitter), reader comments, and post “likes.” We also saw our Alexa rank drop under 100,000 and it is at the time of this post sitting at 84,343. We’re quite thrilled about that number, as well the overall increase of visitors to the site this year. We look forward to the challenge of increasing everything even more so in 2014 and maybe taking the site to the next level as well.
I’m also very happy to announce that I was offered and have accepted the position of Gaming Expert for one of the largest websites in the United States, Answers.com. What does that mean in regards to Vortex Effect? Well, not all that much. Besides the expert badge in the sidebar to the right and increased exposure for myself and the Vortex Effect name, nothing changes. I’ll still be writing reviews, opinion pieces, and news bits here on a frequent basis (daily in 2014). In addition to my duties here, I’ll be writing a minimum of five articles a month for Answers.com about gaming. I usually do 1000 to 2500 word posts here, whereas there I’ll be writing much shorter and concise articles around 600 words or so. Some of the things I’ll be writing include lists, how to’s, and even exclusive reviews (albeit a little less in-depth and more objective in nature). It’s a big deal for me personally, and should be great for this site as well. I haven’t written anything for them yet (just got the job and probably won’t actually start until January), but I do hope you all check out and bookmark the gaming category and read my articles there as they become available.
We were also recently awarded nominations for the Sunshine Blogger award from InvaderC8 and Blog of the Year 2013 from Sam Leung at CheeeseToastieandVideoGames. I can’t thank them enough for the nominations, but definitely check out/subscribe to their sites (both are gaming oriented and both are great).
Since it was awarded first, I’ll start with the Sunshine Award.
The Sunshine Award is given to lucky people who encourages others in the Blogging realm, and makes it a better place for all. There are rules and that would be as follows:
- USE THE LOGO IN YOUR POST
- LINK TO WHOEVER NOMINATED YOU
Done, but thanks again InvaderC8.
- WRITE 10 FACTS ABOUT YOURSELF
- Sport: College Football
- Teams: Alabama and Florida (SEC, SEC, SEC)
- Food: Chicken
- TV Shows: Stargate, Home Improvement, Spartacus, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, RAW
- Movies: Death to Smoochy, Braveheart, Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Troy, Remember The Titans
- Actors: Johnny Depp, Mark Wahlberg, Vince Vaughn, Samuel L. Jackson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Actresses: Zooey Deschanel, Emma Stone, Reese Witherspoon, Natalie Portman, Jennifer Lawrence
- Artist/Bands: She & Him, Taylor Swift, Pennywise, Sum 41, Bloodhound Gang, Lana Del Rey, Rancid, Lorde
- Books: End the Fed, A Nation of Sheep, Have A Nice Day, How An Economy Grows and Why It Crashes
- Season/Weather: Winter, Rainy
- Nominate 10 Fellow Bloggers
- Inform the nominees about the award
Will get to this soon. Thanks again InvaderC8 for the Sunshine Award!
And finally, we move on to the Blog of the Year 2013 nomination from Sam. Here are the rules for this award.
1. Nominate the blogs you think deserve the award (check out the list below)
2. Write a post about your blog nominations and present them with the award
3. Inform the blogs about your nomination and the rules involved in accepting the award
4. Go say ‘hello’ to the originator of the Blog of the Year award at this link:
5. You can also join the Blog of the Year Facebook Page and share your posts if so inclined:
6. Link back to the blog that nominated you, display the award for the world to see and start gathering stars! Apparently each time you are nominated for the award you gain a star. There are six in total for you to collect. What happens if you get all six? Nothing, it just means you have a great blog and got nominated six times by six awesome people. Fun!
Now onto the nominations. I always kinda hate doing this, just because there’s a lot of great blogs out there that I follow. Nevertheless, these are the ones I’m picking for this particular award:
Thanks again Sam for the award!